Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Eating out for lunch.........so costly


So Ty and I were watching "The Today Show" this morning and they were discussing how much money it costs to eat lunch out everyday. They were saying that high executives, lawyers, etc even "brown bag" it now. They had a lawyer go to the supermarket and do the brown bag for a week and she was able to save a lot of money where if she kept it up, it bought her tickets to a nice resort for vacation.

I decided to do some math on what I typically do:
On some days, I eat anywhere between $5-$10 (sometimes more or less) a day just for lunch (this does not include if I stop for breakfast or if Ty and I eat out or order in for dinner).
Well, I work from Mon-Thurs, so lets say $10 a day for 4 days a week: $40 a week
Then for the full year that is 40 times 52 (weeks in the year) a whopping $2,080. Now that does not include that in the fall I go back to working 5 day weeks, but for a few months, the bosses buy our lunches.

Now, lets do one day out a week at $10 a day (now it could be more or less as well) that is a freaking $520 a year just spent on lunches.

So, this weekend, Ty and I are going to get food items and make our own lunches to take to work. This will also help me to eat healthier and to have good snacks. Ty normally eats at home for lunch already (but now he will save on the gas money from driving to and from home).

I am sure that I will still have lunch out on occasion, but I am going to try my best to eat in or maybe go to a park and eat with Alli, Carrie, or whoever wants to meet up. I still need to get out of the office and get some fresh air.

Thanks for reading my rant. I just wanted to share with people how we can all possibly save money since the economy is sucking so darn bad.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea to blog about this now. The news has us feeling like the economy is rolling straight down the crapper. I used to buy lunch everyday, but when I switched to brown bagging, I was able to save a lot of money. It's worth it, but it is important to still get out of the office.

DJ's Mama said...

I am hoping that I can either eat outside on the benches or go to a park or something. I am going to talk to Ty about taking the money that we save on lunches and putting it in a envelope or something so we have money saved for a mini vacation or something.

All I know is that thank goodness for CraigsList. I have been selling and buying from it like no tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Uggh this is so true. I try telling Joey how expensive it is and I think he just doesn't understand. I know it's hard to bring lunch but it's sooooo expensive not to.

Anonymous said...

Look, it is letting me commet. Yes!! I have never seen this box pop up before. So anywho, yep, that is why I dont eat out. But Jeannie is right, if you do brown bag it, you need to get out of the office. I never eat here unless I am making up time. I usually go home, so I am spending the gas, but I need to let out the dogs. I dont everyday though. Plus sometimes I can eat at the park :) I am sure there are places you could go to get out to eat your packed lunch :) It definitely saves $$. As for the other girl who tried to tell her Joey how expensive it is, my husband doesn't listen either!!

Allison said...

Dude, you ain't even lyin'!!! We would save soooo much money by brown bagging instead of eating out!! So, where we gonna meet to eat out pb&j sandwiches for our lunch breaks now??

P.S. I will miss our cookies from Mickey D's. =(

DJ's Mama said...

isn't there a park that we can go to that is near metlife? we can still get cookies from mcdonalds once in a while... i can't give that up the whole time.. even if i do want to lose weight.

Anonymous said...

That's so funny you mentioned those cookies from McD's, because I'm addicted to those, too!!
Good post, by the way... brown bagging really must save a lot of money and you can make it fun and maybe even healthier than eating out. Keep us posted on how it goes! :-)